Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Undesirable.

Undesirable.

In India's caste system, the people of lowest social class are called "Undesirables."  They are the poorest people, living in slums.  In the Hindu religion, there is not much help offered to these people because of the belief that the Undesirables were reincarnated to this life for a reason.

I think in this world there is a tendency, especially among women, to place ourselves in a similar spiritual "class."

 Undesirable.

Every time I say it, it's just too comfortable.

As a believer and follower of Christ, I live in the hope that my life here is just the beginning.  I live in hope that God cares for and loves me.  Someday, when I am permitted to abandon this shell, I will be with Him in a place that needs no sun. . .where there will be no more tears, no more suffering, no more shame. This life I live now is only the beginning.

Temporary. Meaning I don't belong here.

A stranger in a strange land.

And yet, hampered by this body with all its flaws and fragility, tainted by the sin nature that continuously tries to overcome me, I find myself thinking the way this world does.  I have begun thinking in terms of instant gratification, the pursuit of happiness, the acquirement of possession, the need for entertainment, and the coveting of a beautiful image.

My hope slips a little. I don't measure up.  I don't have enough.  I am a failure. I am not pretty/skinny/striking enough.

Undesirable.

But then I remember what God had created:


This is the God that loves me.  He counts the very hairs on my head.  He knew my name before I was even knit in my mother's womb.

This God that created the heavens and the earth regards me as Desirable.  Beloved.  His o
wn.


And if God is for us, who can be against us?

No comments: