Friday, March 19, 2010

Bedtime Shenanigans

Right now I really want to start my new book, but for some reason I just can't pick it up. I am just too annoyed. I love my children, but when they are not sleeping when they are supposed to, it drives me insane! The girls are having a slumber party right now. Mind you, every night seems to be a slumber party. I have spanked, yelled, cajoled, threatened, talked sweetly. Everything in the book short of duck-taping their mouths shut or dosing them with Benedryl. Does that make me sound like a bad mom?

I need to keep it in perspective. There was a time when I had 3 kids ages 4 and under and the bedtime shenanigans when there are 3 toddlers is just crazy. I remember passing out at 11pm with them still running around laughing. Those were not good times. You'd think their little thighs would be sore from the spanking, but it didn't even phase them. I even heard them giggling one time after I left. WTH?

I wonder what is so exhausting about when the kids don't sleep. They are in their beds and not coming out of their rooms. I guess it's that we can't see them but still have to keep an eye on them. I know I feel like I can't "clock out" if they are still awake. And at the end of the day, I just want some peace and quiet to go with whatever snack I don't need to share with grabby hands.

I know you are supposed to cherish these times when the kids are small, but I can't wait until I no longer have to deal with these bedtime shenanigans. Please God make them sleep!

No comments: